Sunday, March 10, 2013

Caleb from The Star Relic

This is a drawing I did of Caleb, a character from my novel, The Star Relic
Excerpt:
     Crashing thunder made me glance to the west and in the distance I could see a dark spot within the murky gray clouds. The spot danced gracefully, and as it drew near I realized it had wings. They were fighting against the wind and rain and surprisingly winning. I was watching a crow, and as it flew closer I felt myself getting hot as blood flowed to my face, and anger made me forget my lack of comfort.

     The unnaturally large crow landed and cawed, circling comically on the ledge a few feet away from me. I moved closer and knelt down beside him. “Would you please shift? I’m not in the mood!” I yelled irritably over the rain and thunder.

     The crow vibrated and shimmered, silvery sparkles surrounded him until finally, he turned into a beautiful boy. He was wearing blue jeans, brown work boots, and that’s it. I would have smiled with absolute pleasure at the sight of him, if I wasn’t so angry. Angry because he was here, and my sister wasn’t.

     Caleb was laughing when his transformation was complete. His thick black hair draped over his shoulders and he hugged himself as he shivered. He frowned and looked around. His golden brown skin showed goose bumps as the rain fell on him with no regard to his bare skin.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment