Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I wrote a novel...now what?

So I started writing a very long time ago. I wrote short stories, poetry, notes to friends, you know the usual. My favorite classes in high school and in college where of course, creative writing, art, and poetry. So what did I major in you ask, business with an emphasis of healthcare of course! What else? Guaranteed steady work...and it has been that. I have made a good career for myself, I support my family and don't hate what I am doing at all. It's a good career. 

But...what I really wanted and still want to do is to write and draw...you know create things. So badly that spent the past few years moping around because I wasn't doing these things. I mean I dabbled in writing and drawing for fun, you know, when I had time but still it was not satisfying.

I read a lot and that's what I did to fulfill my needs of creating. Finally, one day I said to myself, "Get this character and idea out of your head and on paper. Stop waiting for someone to magically make it happen for you." So I did. I wrote a novel. A vampire novel and I had two people in my target audience read it. They both loved it. I wasand am proud and excited that they loved the story. That they loved the characters and that they wanted more. More...

So now what? This is where I am. Lost. What do I do now? Well, I enrolled in a writing course to get more rounded and more "noticed" for short stories and articles. My teacher says I can tell a great story and enjoys them. That's all good but still, what about my book? It's sitting, waiting, wanting for a miracle to happen where it grows a cover and shows up on book shelves in book stores everywhere. Well that's crazy and the fact of the matter is, I have to make this happen..

So now I am trying to find a literary agent and I am freaking out. I don't even know if that’s what I should be doing but I have a feeling that I should try to get an expert to help me move forward. I'm going to write a query letter to an agent or ten, and I find this is so much more difficult then writing a novel. Go figure.

Wish me luck and I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment